David Friedman: Air Sculpture: Presscuts
[Tracks] [Info] [Press] [Order CD]
Release Date: 16.09.1994
TT Catalogue No: 4406
- "... exciting webs of sound, of sublime grace and exquisite refinement. This record
- "... a true work of art!"
- "Friedman's sculptures of sound, by virtue of their unique
recording quality are a musical event of the highest order."
DRUMS & PERCUSSION
- "Daringly and clearly modelled."
- "...it spins, surges and swings. Perfect and virtuos presentation
. . ."
- "...fascinating, versatile"
- "Harmonically tricky, subtle in melody and rhytm. Friedman
improvises on simple structures, expanding them into transparent suites. A
- "...brilliant sound-sculptures, ranging from artistically ethereal
ballads to sparkling melodious chamber music."
- "Perfect Vibes. Friedman utilises all capabilities of his instrument,
fathoming the most delicate structures of sound. Absolutely recommended hearing!"
- "The perfect musical dreamwalk."
- "This daring recording of solo vibraphone/marimba by David
Friedman is riviting. The sonorities that Friedman is able to construct are
quite beautiful. The music is made of the same fabric that dreams are made
thick and rich colors and textures to tightly woven melodies and bursts of
rhythms, this recording is one of the best examples of solo jazz vibraphone
work I have
ever heard. Bebop to ballads, David Friedman has made an important mark with
this thoroughly enjoyable jazz recording."
JAZZ FRIENDS REVIEW
- "Air Sculpture is a very cool set of acoustic ambience from David Friedman. He created these somewhat exotic atmospheres on the vibraphone and marimba. These short pieces (all between three and eight minutes) are the kind that bring smiles and chuckles to even the most disinterested listener. The style bears a strong resemblance to '50s exotica, but Friedman brings his own panache and grace to the table. This is a fairly unique set."
All Music Guide, Review by Jim Brenholts